x

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Review: Be A Bombshell Blush in Sweet Cheeks


Hey friends! Today I want to give you a more in-depth review of the Be A Bombshell blush I received in this month's Ipsy Glam Bag




For those who don't know, Ipsy is a makeup/beauty monthly subscription service. For $10/month (plus tax in some states, shipping included), you'll receive 4-5 products in a little cosmetic bag. It sounds like a great idea, and some bags I've received have been awesome. However, some bags, like this one, were not so awesome. If you're interested in signing up, you can click here to register for their Wait List (it usually takes about one month to get a bag, so if you get put on the wait list in late April and miss May's bag, you'll be able to sign up for June's bag). Unlike Birchbox, I don't get any sort of compensation for you clicking this link (I wish!)



When I first got this, I originally wanted the other color, but I ended up LOVING this. It looks really scary in the pan, especially for someone fair-skinned like me. However, I find that this is just absolutely beautiful on the skin.



(Natural Light)

The swatch doesn't even do it justice. I normally am not a huge fan of shimmery blushes, but this is an exception. It's a gorgeous medium pink that is build-able, yet can also be blended to create a subtle flush of color. It actually blends quite beautifully on the face, but unfortunately I had a hard time blending it on my arm (who knows why) so I can't show you here. But GUYS, YOU HAVE TO CHECK OUT THIS BLUSH.


If you extend it a little higher on your cheeks, it also serves as a cheekbone highlight (in addition to blush) since it shimmers to be almost white. If you have a darker skin tone, this would be a gorgeous cheekbone highlight alone. 


The third ingredient is Mineral Oil, which I found interesting. I have dry-combination skin, so I find that this works well for me, but perhaps people with oily skin might want to stay away.  Otherwise, it's completely safe, doesn't usually cause allergic reactions or irritations, and is perfectly fine for use on the skin. The only downside is if you have oily skin, you might not want to put a product with mineral oil (especially as the 3rd ingredient) on top of that. Mineral Oil does not clog pores, but it might not feel very comfortable on your cheeks if your skin produces oil more quickly.

However, the first ingredient is Talc, which is a bit more controversial. Talc, or Talcum Powder, has been marked by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as being safe, but it depends if the talc contains asbestos. Talc and asbestos have been suggestively linked--talc that is asbestos free is no cause for alarm, but if it does contain asbestos, that is a little worrisome since asbestos and cancer are linked.  There are no definitive studies that state this, but it is definitely something to watch out for. It was used in a lot of mineral makeup because it absorbs oil (which I guess counteracts the Mineral Oil) and it was often used in deodorant. It is mostly an issue because it can cause lung issues over time when inhaling it (so products like baby powder would be more of a cause for concern). I am not too worried about this blush containing talc, since it is not something that tends to fly in the air as much, like setting powder or baby powder. If you are someone who looks to stay away from products with Talc, stop right here. 


Overall, I really like this blush. The ingredients may steer some people away, but that's not going to stop me from using this product. When I run out of this blush (LOL running out of blush), I might not repurchase since I'll probably be on the lookout for products with less harmful ingredients, but I still do love this blush. The color payoff, the formulation, everything is just gorgeous about it. It all depends on what is important to you. Obviously it's not important enough to me in order keep me from using it, but I might have thought twice before purchasing it (how many people read the ingredients before buying makeup though? Not enough). Oh well, we shall see. If you are interested, this blush retails for $16 (.17oz) and can be bought on Be A Bombshell's website

What's your go-to blush right now?

With love,
Sammi
Disclaimer: This product was purchased with my own money. I am in no way being compensated for this review.